SS19 Advanced Quantum Field Theory
The lecture is aimed at master students with an interest in theoretical physics. It is a crucial preparation for a master thesis in theoretical particle physics. The quantum field theory concepts discussed are however more widely applicable. The focus here will be on methods, rather than on phenomenology (as compared to the 'Theoretical particle physics' course).
- The second exam will take place on 30.09.2019 in Hörsaal 2, Interims II (please pay attention to the location), from 10:30 to 13:30. Please be there at 10:15. You can bring up to 4 pages (i.e. 2 two-sided A4 sheets) of handwritten notes and writing material, but no books or other notes. You will receive scratch paper from us. Please also bring your Student-ID card.
- 07.08: note that chapter 9.14 (Goldstone anomalies and WZW term) will not be part of the exam.
- 01.08: the results of the exercise bonus are available. Please check them.
- The first exam will take place on 14.08.2019 in Hörsaal 3, Physics Department, from 9:00 to 12:00. Please be there at 8:45. You can bring up to 4 pages (i.e. 2 two-sided A4 sheets) of handwritten notes and writing material, but no books or other notes. You will receive scratch paper from us. Please also bring your Student-ID card.
- The first exercise group will meet next Monday (20.5.2019).
- The first lecture will be on the 24.4.2019.
- Quantization and renormalization of non-abelian gauge theories
- Quantum theory of spontaneous symmetry breaking (non-linear symmetry representation, Higgs mechanism, effective potential)
- General relativity as an effective QFT of gravitons (spin-2 fields)
- Anomalies (chiral, dilatation)
- Scattering amplitudes, spinor helicity formalism, recursion relations (BCFW)
1. Monday 16:00 - 18:00, Theory Library, PH3343
2. Wednesday 10:00 - 12:00, Minkowski Room, PH1121
S. Weinberg - Quantum Field Theory (1 & 2)
Peskin/Schroeder - An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory
Preskill - Lecture notes (on his Caltech website)
Schwartz - Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model
Cheng/Li - Gauge theory of elementary particle physics
Sign conventions across QFT books, see here
(Please contact Javi or Ennio for the password, it will be also announced during the lecture.)
The contents so far are here
1 Basics of Lie groups (08.05.2019, Ennio Salvioni)
2 Transversity of gauge self-energy from BRST (12.06.2019, Ennio Salvioni)
Exercise coordination: Dr. Javi Serra (javi.serraATtum.de) and Dr. Ennio Salvioni (ennio.salvioniATtum.de)
Exercise bonus: in order to obtain the +0.3 bonus (applicable to the first exam attempt, and only to passing grades) you will need to attend regularly the tutorials, present/discuss the solution of at least one exercise, and hand in solutions for at least 50% of the total number of exercises.
Sheet 1 (10.05.2019, due 17.05.2019 at 15:00)
Sheet 2 (18.05.2019, due 24.05.2019 at 15:00)
Sheet 3 (24.05.2019, due 31.05.2019 at 15:00)
Sheet 4 (07.06.2019, due 14.06.2019 at 15:00)
Sheet 5 (14.06.2019, due 21.06.2019 at 15:00)
Sheet 6 (28.06.2019, due 05.07.2019 at 15:00)
Sheet 7 (05.07.2019, due 12.07.2019 at 15:00)
Sheet 8 (13.07.2019, due 19.07.2019 at 15:00)
Bonus Sheet (27.07.2019, due 14.08.2019 at 15:00)